How to use your iPhone as an Apple TV remote with a free app
- It’s easy to use your iPhone as an Apple TV remote by downloading the Apple TV Remote app.
- You can connect your iPhone and Apple TV through the Remote app in two different ways.
- Once it’s set up, you’ll be able to use the menu and play buttons on your iPhone, as well as swipe on the Remote app’s trackpad and search terms with the iPhone keyboard.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Many viewers depend on the Apple TV to watch their favorite shows and movies. But if you misplace the remote — or just don’t feel like leaving the couch to get it — you can also use your iPhone to control your Apple TV.
You can download the Apple TV Remote app on your iPhone and it will function as an Apple TV remote. While this is easy with Home Sharing, it’s just as easy to do without Home Sharing, especially when your iPhone and Apple TV use different Apple accounts.
Here’s what you need to know in both cases.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
1. On your Apple TV, open Settings.
2. Scroll down and click on Accounts (or “Users and Accounts” depending on the model and operating system).
3. Scroll down and click on “Home Sharing.”
4. When setting up an Apple TV, hooking it up to your Apple account is usually a required step. If you have not connected your Apple TV to an account, though, when you click on “Home Sharing” it will ask you to enter your Apple ID and password and then click on “Sign In.”
6. Open the Remote app. It should show “Add Apple TV.” Click on the Apple TV and if they’re both on the same Apple account, it should connect automatically using Home Sharing.
How to set up your iPhone as an Apple TV remote without Home Sharing
2. Open the Remote app. You should be able to click on “Add Apple TV.”
3. A screen will appear asking for a 4-digit code that has also shown up on your Apple TV. Type in the code.
4. Your iPhone will now be paired with your Apple TV as a remote — follow the steps below to learn how to use it.
How to use your iPhone as an Apple TV remote
The Remote app on your iPhone will show the Apple TV menu and play buttons, while the blank space above that operates as a trackpad, similar to your standard Apple TV remote.
- Sliding left on your app’s trackpad will move the cursor to the left, sliding right will move it right, and the same with sliding up or down.
- When you want to click on something, tap the center of the trackpad to select.
- You can also type in search terms or text directly on your iPhone, which is far easier with its keyboard than trying to type letter-by-letter on the Apple TV remote.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech: