How to tell if your iPhone is charging properly, whether it’s turned on or off
- You can tell if your iPhone is charging whether it’s powered on or off.
- When your iPhone is on, you can tell if it’s charging by looking at the battery icon in the upper right corner. It should appear green with a lightning bolt in the middle.
- When your iPhone has just died, you can tell if you’re properly charging it by the icons on the black screen.
- If you only see an empty battery icon, your iPhone is charging and will power on shortly. But if you see that icon with a cord next to it, your iPhone is not charging properly.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
And anyone who has experienced a dead iPhone knows it won’t come back on right away.
Sometimes, compounding the problem even further, you’ll be patiently waiting for an iPhone to reanimate again — only to realize it isn’t being delivered any juice.
Here’s what to look out for to ensure an iPhone is charging, whether dead or alive.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to tell if your iPhone is charging when it’s on
You can check that an iPhone is being charged via the ever-present battery icon in the top right corner.
There will be a lightning bolt in the middle of the battery icon to indicate that the phone is charging, and the icon should appear green.
You can also check your battery life in the Control Center, where you’ll be able to see a number reading of your battery percentage (it’s possible to always show this number on your screen).
How to tell if your iPhone is charging when it’s off
There are lots of reasons a seemingly plugged-in and charging iPhone wouldn’t actually be charging, including that the cord might be broken, the outlet could be busted, or you could have forgotten to flip on the switch for your surge protector.
If that’s the case and the iPhone isn’t charging, you’ll see a familiar icon on the screen — an almost empty battery and a charger.
However, if the iPhone is charging, you should only see the empty battery icon. Keep charging it and be patient, your iPhone should power back on shortly.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech: