How to change your Instagram username or display name, on the mobile app or a computer
- Instagram identifies you in two ways — using your display name and username. You can change either of these names at any time.
- To change your Instagram names, go to your profile page on the web, or in a mobile app, and choose to edit your profile.
- You can change your display name to anything, but the username needs to be unique. Instagram will warn you if it’s already in use.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Many social media platforms don’t let you change your username once the account is set up, since it’s a basic identifying element of the account.
That’s why it’s a little surprising that Instagram lets you change it at any time. You can change both your display name and username, either from the iPhone or Android mobile apps, or your computer in a web browser.
Keep in mind that while you can change your display name to anything — it doesn’t need to be unique — your username is different.
Your username can’t already be in use by someone else, and Instagram will alert you if your desired username isn’t available. You won’t be able to save your changes until you choose a unique username.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to change your Instagram name in the app
1. Start the Instagram app.
2. Tap your account icon in the bottom right of the screen to go to your profile page.
3. If you have more than one account configured in the app, tap the account name at the top of the screen and choose the account you want to change.
4. Tap “Edit Profile.”
5. On the Edit Profile page, tap the field next to Name or Username and type your changes. When you’re ready to save your changes, tap “Done.”
How to change your Instagram name in a web browser
1. In a web browser, navigate to Instagram.com.
2. Click the account icon at the top right of the screen.
3. Click “Edit Profile.”
4. Click in the Name or Username field and type your changes. When you’re ready to save your changes, click “Submit.”
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
NOW WATCH: 5 things wrong with Apple’s lightning cable